Sunday, September 2, 2007

Glamorous Mat Kaho Na: Lara Dutta

It hasn't been a easy time for the luminous Lara.

If she's been missing from the line of hyper-action for the past year it's because, Lara Dutta has been looking after her ailing parents. "They were both in hospital. So I was either with them, or shooting in Dubai and London. My first priority was my parents. And I had no time or appetite for networking and socializing."

Apart from other problems at home her cell number has been quite an irritant.

"They gave me a new number that apparently belonged to Mahesh Manjrekar. I kept getting calls from him."

The cell faux pas came to such a head that Lara would first clarify that it was Mr Manjrekar's number before proceeding with conversations.

She laughs heartily at the Priyadarshan-like confusion. Laughter comes easily to her after the success of No Entry and Bhagam Bhag.

"No film in recent times did more for me than No Entry. I wanted to do lighter films. And No Entry gave me that leeway. I did Bhagam Bhag because I wanted to work with Priyan. Secondly after Andaz it was my first lead with Akshay.

At the end of the day it was a massive learning experience with Paresh, Govinda and Akshay. But yes, I wish my character was utilized better. But I guess in an ensemble cast I got a fair share of space."

Remind her of her brief walk-on appearance in Kunal Kohli's Fanaa and she defends herself. "I had earlier said no to Kunal to a part in Hum Tum. I couldn't do that again without sounding arrogant.

And let's face it, it was a kind of initiation for me into the country's biggest banner Yashraj. It also gave me chance to share screen -space with two of my most favourite actors Aamir and Kajol. So why not?"

"Also," she clears her throat. "I've the clearly disadvantageous reputation of being an intelligent actress. That I couldn't fit into the airheaded parts was a bit of a hurdle. Also, I come from the glamorous industry (modeling).

For some strange reason, a part of the films industry feels you can't do the girl-nextdoor or take-home-to-mama roles if you're glamorous. That way I do feel limited.

I'm constantly offered glamorous prop-like roles. But that's changing. In Partner I was working opposite Salman and I didn't have the glamorous role."

Lara definitely sees the glamour thing as an impediment. "But I'm ready to wait for the bright and right parts. I didn't come into the industry to be a No.1, 2, 3. All it takes is hard work and I'm at it. I don't want to take the short cut of coat-tailing some big heroes to success.

When I walk out of the industry I want to be remembered as a good actress like Nutan and Smita Patil, not someone who was good at net-working. If I said no to a role it went to Bipasha.

If she said no it came to me. I don't want to do the interchangeable glam roles. I've made a conscious decision to stay away from them."

Then she gets briefly wistful. " I wish good-looking actresses had better-fleshed roles to perform and those did not just go to the Plain Janes."

Your Ad Here

No comments: